Sunday 18 November 2012

Holidays are coming?


It's a controversial topic I know, but I feel it has to be discussed. When do the holidays really start? I feel like we need a definitive answer once and for all. Here at The First Blue Door On The Left, my housemate Katie has already complied and started to play her Christmas playlist ( I must admit I chose some of the songs) as well as having a “countdown to Advent, Advent Calender”. It's only the middle of November for crying out loud! She can't be blamed for her premature celebrations though, we've already had the first viewing of the Coca-Cola and John Lewis adverts which for many start represent the beginning of the festive period. St.Arbucks have their red cups and every other shop is trying to sell us Christmas cards or jumpers whilst blasting out Kylie's version of 'Santa Baby'.

Traditionally the countdown to Christmas begins on the first Sunday of Advent (4 Sundays before Christmas Day), which this year will be the 2nd of December. Fair enough you may say as this conveniently coincides with when chocolate advent calendars begin. But it seems that even 4 weeks isn't enough preparation for some people. On Saturday I overheard a women asking her son if he'd got all the presents he needed to get, talk about extreme forward planning! For all that I enjoy being prepared and unstressed I think that by starting so early is that you loose focus, discipline and momentum (sorry, St Toms fdm joke!) If you start in the middle of November then by the time you get to Christmas Day you can't be bothered any more and all the excitement has gone. After all Christmas is celebrating Jesus' birthday, we don't start planning and preparing for anyone else's birthday 6 weeks in advance, that would be crazy! While we're talking about festive numbers, what's with the 12 days of Christmas!? (please don't send me genuine articles explaining it, I don't care that much) as far as I can tell it's just a lot of birds, tertiary sector workers and some bling!          

Personally I refuse to acknowledge winter and the Christmas holidays until after MamaCharlo's birthday (24th November), that gives you exactly a month, plenty of time! When I lived with my parents the Christmas tree always went up the weekend closest to my birthday (18th December, you've got no excuse to not get me a card now ;) In my opinion the worst culprits are the people who buy Christmas cards and presents in the January sales, it's just wrong! By the time you get to the next winter festivities you've forgotten where in the attic you put all the cards & presents and have to go and buy more.

I don't think this is an issue that will be solved any time soon. Hopefully the tinsel won't go up in The First Blue Door On The Left for another few weeks.

Rant over.

God bless,
Charlo xxx  

No comments:

Post a Comment